C. Michial Jones Sensei has been given the opportunity to study with senior instructors of traditional Okinawan and Japanese Budo, he began his Gojuryu training in 1977 under the direction of his father (Curt Jones Shihan) and has trained with several Jundokan seniors over the years, however he was a direct student of Koshin Iha Sensei and now is a direct student of Kiichi Nakamoto Sensei, which has lead to him accomplishing a solid and extensive understanding that he strives to pass on to his students.
As Yushikan Director and Kancho, OMAC Director and Kancho, President of the International Karate Kobudo Association, Vice President for the Sekai Dentokan Bugei Renmei, and North American President for the Gojuryu Okinawakan Karate-do Kyokai. Jones Sensei is responsible for the instruction and certification of several study groups and individual students throughout the Americas.
Fostering the true spirit of Budo, Jones Sensei continues to practice the technical and philosophical lessons taught by his teachers.
Mr. Jones has three children, all of whom are black belts. In his professional life, Jones Sensei, like several other gojuryu instructors before him, was a law enforcement officer and training instructor, he retired holding the rank of Chief of Police for his department. He is still the most decorated officer in the department history and has received multiple awards and commendations for valor and bravery. In 2008 he was America’s TOP COP and NAPO’s Citizens Choice Award Winner. He was also declared as an Indiana Hero by then Gov. Mitchell Daniels. In addition he is a certified defensive tactics instructor with multiple instructor and master instructor certifications in several DT methods.
In the media, Jones Sensei has been featured in several newspapers and news television programs. As an author, he has written numerous articles on various aspects of the martial arts for a variety of periodicals, including the Seibukan Journal, and Traditional Karate Magazine, he has written serveral law enforcement training manuels and is the internationally published author of “Entering Through The Gateway of Gojuryu”, “Yushikan: Entering The Gateway of Gojuryu”, “Goju-Ryu Futari Geiko” and “Gojuryu Okinawakan” (Available through the web store, Amazon or Lulu.com) In his life’s endeavor to share his passion for traditional Okinawan martial arts, he has dedicated much of his time to conducting karate demonstrations, workshops and seminars focusing on the introduction of traditional karate. He is also active in instructing self-defense and safety awareness workshops to private groups, schools, community centers and police academies.
He was fortunate to have many wise and experienced karate-ka to share their knowledge with him during his many years of study. Such as Motoo Yamakura, Eiko Miyazato, Terou Chinen, Morio Higaonna, Eiichi Miyazato, Ted Yusada, Yoshio Kuba, Gosei Yamaguchi, Seiyu Oyata, Shian Toma, Seikichi Odo, Chi Yoon Tsai, Kiyoushi Nishima, Hidetaka Fukuda, Takayoshi Nagamine, Lloyd Johnson, Kimo Wall, Meitatsu Yagi, Koshin Iha., Roy Hobbs, Koei Nohara, Kensho Takamura and Kiichi Nakamoto.
Mr. Jones was the Chief Instructor of the Komakai Academy of Marion from 1992-1994. In 1994 he founded the Yushikan Dojo, which he continues to operate and in 2015 the Okinawan Martial Arts Center.
Martial Arts Career Highlights;
- Over 40 years of Gojuryu Karate-do
- 1989: USKA National champion
- 1990: USKK National champion
- 1990: Small Double Axe (Mr. Keeney)
- 1992: appointed Chief Instructor Marion Komakai
- 1994: Founded Yushikan dojo
- 1994: Small Double Axe Award (Mr. Koeppel)
- 1996: Small Double Axe award (Mr. C. Jones)
- 2002: US-Okinawan Open World Champion
- 7 time UWMAS World Kickboxing Champion
- 1978 to Present State and National Titles USKA, PKC and USKK.
- Multiple Awards for Heroism and Bravery in Law Enforcement
- Life Member PKC, JKF Gojukai, ZOSKKF
Currently awarded Yudansha level Certification:
- Karate-do Goju Ryu, Hachidan (8th Dan), Hanshi
- Ryukyu Dento Kobujutsu Ufuchiku Kei, Hachidan (8th Dan), Hanshi
- Nihon Aiki-Jujutsu, Hanchidan (8th Dan), Hanshi, Menkyo Kaiden
- Karate-do Uechi-Ryu, Nanadan (7th Dan), Kyoshi
- Karate-do Shorin Ryu, Nanadan (7th Dan), Kyoshi
- Dentokan Goshinjutsu, Nanadan (7th Dan), Kyoshi
- Karate-do Komakai (Goju/Shuri), Rokudan (6th Dan) Renshi
- Seidokan Motoburyu Tuide, Shihan-Menjo
To read more about Mike Jones, visit here